Friday, June 15, 2007

No, I am not walking across Central Asia

And I am not holidaying in Baghdad or Grozny, or Waziristan, Dagestan, or Kafiristan :-) This summer's adventure is going to follow along the ancient Silk Road, from the Caucasus, through the five 'Stans, over the Pamir Mountains into China, and finally down to Vietnam.

Several years ago on talk radio, there was a great show called "The Stan Report," which brought to the listeners of Southern California the latest insights and wackiness from the newly independent countries of Central Asia. Wish I had thought of that title, so Pamistan will have to do.

So, why the Stans? Aside from the usual "gotta get out of Orange County" drivel, it's because the over-the-top exotic names of Samarkand, Bukhara, and Khiva have tossed around in my head since childhood, and I can't imagine going through life without checking them out.

Five years old and obsessively pushing the little boats and planes around on the Wide World Game, I really had no choice in the matter...

The mountains and temple kind of look like where I'm going.

This summer's drill is much like last year. I'm at the mercy of public computers, will post pictures if I can, and promise to try to keep you all entertained.

Have a plane to catch....

No comments: