Thursday, July 19, 2007

BLOGGER BANNED IN UZBEKISTAN!!!

For God's sake, Mr. President, are you terrified someone in your country might post a thought online? Out of courtesy to the hospitable and genuinely kind Uzbeks I've encountered thus far, I will hold my vein-popping rant until I am out of here.

An enormous thumbs up to my brother Chris (quartzcity.net) who confirmed my dark suspicions and e-mailed me instructions on how to get around the ban. Thank you. I couldn't follow his directions for access at the time I read his e-mail, however, because the computer immediately froze and all attempts to reload brought up threatening looking messages in Russian.

It takes roughly one hour to bring up the AOL mail page and access one message--if all goes well.

Frustrated beyond belief because I've got some awesome posts and pictures to put up, I hope for better luck in Kazakhstan next Tuesday. Thanks for your patience!

Pam (who is in Samarkand at the moment)

2 comments:

Renshaw said...

Hey Pam, this looks like the trip of a lifetime!
Shirley and I have been intrigued for ages by stories of Jason and the Argonauts (who can forget The Golden Fleece?), Scheherazade, and the Silk Road.
We'd love to get our hands on a Turkman or Uzbek carpet.
Now that the Niyazovian era has passed there may be some hope for his former subjects.
Be careful human trafficking...
Thanks for being our "eyes" in all these exotic locals, and thanks for the great blog with the fine photos.
See you in Atlanta.

Anonymous said...

Mis ojos,
I love the blog---the stories and pictures are great and I have gone back to the beginning to post comments. I do love that you can carry liquid on flights through there...I remember those days...
tu amiga querida