Tuesday, July 24, 2007

How to Travel Across Uzbekistan

Various dates.

By air, you ask? I yearn for the days of flying carpets. Let's get a show of hands here: How many of you would get in an old derelict Soviet plane called a Yak? OK, flying is out.

Private taxi: Reasonably cheap, horrifically dangerous. My driver from Nukus to Khiva--normally a 3-hour drive--makes it in 1 3/4 hours! Both feet on the accelerator of a Daewoo Tico, one hand on the mobile (Allo? Allo? Allo? Da? Da? Nyet? Nyet? Allo?) and the other hand on the horn. I try to concentrate on his horn protocol. What does the short, slapping, beep, beep, beep mean? And what deserves a long 10-second blast? Brakes are good as we head into that truck. And the car even maneuvers sideways as we scream around before a head-on collision with an oncoming lunatic. On another taxi ride, my driver accelerates into a group of several little children playing in the street. HONK! HONK! HONK! HONK! And they all scatter in every direction for their dear little lives.

I think the psychology behind this relates to the drivers' childhoods packed in video game rooms where they learn last-minute dodges and swerves. And if you crash, well, so what! Either that or there's a genetic memory still lingering from riding across the steppes of Central Asia with a headless goat in tow.

Shared taxis: Now I tell drivers that I won't get in if they drive fast. We write in the dust on the car price and speed limits.

In Khiva, I wait a few hours for more passengers to show up for the shared taxi to Bukhara. Nobody comes; it's too hot. I walk over to the train station and do the scrum at the window to buy a ticket. I'm in luck! I wait a few hours for the train. I get on; I look around the sea of bodies and packages and get off immediately. Not quite the "Death Train," but it's too much to deal with.

Bus: I walk over to the bus station. I'm in luck again! The bus is leaving immediately to Bukhara--only 9 hours. Sweltering for the first few hours, but once the sun starts setting, it's halfway tolerable. Driver can't speed, people are behaved and polite--much more so than Orange County. The normal Uzbek in the street is exceptionally nice. We stop at a chaikhana (tea house) and the cook boils eggs for me on request since everything else looks a little skeptical.

Not quite pitch black--starlight sparkles above, we rumble across the Kyzylkum Desert. All is well, the iPod is in. Pink Floyd seems suitable.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, no Uzbek taxi drivers---check. Yikes. I don't know how you stood it (this from someone who jumped out of a NY cab for going up a sidewalk to get around traffic). I love the headless goat metaphor...Think that the train density got to you after the chutes and ladders of last year's digs? Keep the stories coming...they're wonderful and funny! tu amiga querida