Friday, July 6, 2007

Ferry! You leave now!--July 6

July 6--Baku

For 3 days now I've been trying to find information about the cargo ship from Baku to Turkmenbashi. One woman in all of Azerbaijan controls this information, and she hates people. She doesn't respect you unless you scream at her. Today, she is in a grand mood; she even smiles with her gold teeth. I must fetch my stuff immediately and come back. A ferry will leave in a few hours--not tomorrow.

So, I must leave my Baku post and pictures until later. I hear the Internet cafe in Ashgabat, Turkmenistan, has armed soldiers in front. We'll see. Will post from there in a few days--sooner, I hope.

Gotta run--

Behind this door is the woman with the power to sell you a ticket--maybe.


Fellow travelers from the 1000 Camels Hostel who have been waiting several days to catch a ship to Kazakhstan. The guy on the right, Scott, is bicycling from England to Australia. Check out his blog: http://worldbiker.blogspot.com
Leave him a comment because he feels the world has forgotten him. Tell him you're a friend of Pam.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, no time for waffling or anything else once she makes her decision to let you go! It sounds like you were really lucky to get the info on her and to get on the ship so quickly. I'm imagining how long those who aggravate her have to wait. It must be ages.

Anonymous said...

Besides the charming lady with the gold teeth (and, what did you say to her to put her in such a cheery mood?), I want to know more about Scott's pedal across multiple oceans on a bike? Is he boating it from Britain to OZ? I will post a note in your honor---these are good tales! Tu amiga querida